Friday, March 18, 2011

Boogity Boogity Boo! I'm back you guys!

So, I have already begun the search for the next box, the next project, and the next thing to pour my time into. I was able to find three boxes that I really really like. All of them are hard wood and absolutely beautiful boxes just by themselves. I figure that if I do not use the spare boxes for guitars, I'm sure that they would double as jewelry boxes and could be given out to relatives and friends and whatnot.



This first box has an absolutely wonderful color and is a very good size, considering that is a a bit longer than the previous one and is a little wider as well. It could be well suited to be a cigar box guitar that has six strings considering its size. However, it would still have to be reinforced because the wood is cheap, and it would still have a higher pitched twang because it cannot resonate the lower strings really well. Even still, I will consider it to be a very good choice for a guitar box


The only issue that I have with the Oliva is this little crack that is seen on the lower right corner on the front of the box. It would be a very easy fix, just take a tooth pick, lather it in wood glue, dip it in the cracks, and then clamp the sucker for a day. That would easily solve the problem, so it is not that big of a deal actually.



The next choice would be a Rocky Patel box that also has a pretty good color. But, I have a couple big issues with this box. First off, I don't like the fact that the top interior is lined with felt. (It makes it very difficult to glue the neck to the box and get a good seal) Secondly, I don't like how square the box is, it is a large box, but too square for my liking. So, it is my last choice actually, but placed secondly in this blog.

It really is quite a plain box, but I still love the emblem on the inside. (I guess that is why I picked it up?)



And lastly, I found another Rocky Patel. This one is titled the 1961 and has a wonderful pendant on the side that I really love. But, once again, it is a square box, has a felt lining on the inside, and has a horrible tilt from the top of the box to the sides. It would make an excellent jewelry box because it has absolutely wonderful hinges even if the wood was split on one of them (shown later) and the felt lining is really well done. Given the choice, I would pick the first one, but I may choose another just to give myself a challenge. And on a more musical tone the last two would have a much better bass sound to them just because they are a deeper and wider box.


I would probably have to scrape away that nice felt lining to get everything to fit nicely and like I want it to. I must take this into consideration the next time I go spend two dollars on a box.


Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment